CUSTOM DESIGNER | STEPH FARBER
LEROY JEWELERS, TACOMA, WA
BY BETH BERNSTEIN
Published in the May 2012 issue
"In designing a piece of jewelry, I try to celebrate the gems we are featuring. The color of these ametrines is so wonderful, and Tom Trozzo’s cutting is so intricate that I wanted only a flash of diamonds to call the eye to the earrings. Once the diamonds catch the observer’s attention, the rest of the piece works its magic.”
- “This may be the easiest design job I ever did; the ametrines spoke to me and gave me the inspiration for the shape and the settings.”
- “The warmth of the stones called for yellow gold.”
- “The rectangular shape needed a soft rectangular border.”
- “The floating bubbles inside the stones asked to be repeated elsewhere in the pieces, and I decided on bezel-set round brilliant diamonds.”
WHAT OTHER CUSTOM JEWELERS SAY
DEMER JEWELERS, CARLSBAD, CA
- The earrings are proportionally brilliant, the juxtaposition between the sharpness of the ametrine and the softness of the round diamonds is casual yet elegant.
- The entire look is clean and polished, with the bezels acting as small frames for the gemstones, but I might design them without the prongs on the ametrine, as they seem to break the otherwise clean lines.
STEPHEN GALLANT JEWELERS, ORLEANS, MA
- My favorite part of these earrings is how the bezel-set diamonds on top reflect the “bubble-like” concave cuts in the ametrines. It adds an air of whimsy to the otherwise structured and clean lines.
- These are the type of earrings that make an outfit. They would be the eye catcher paired with a simple suit or the statement piece worn with an evening gown. They are extremely versatile.
KROMBHOLZ JEWELERS, CINCINATI, OH
- While I am not an expert in the lapidary arts, I can’t image how challenging it was to match the color lines in these bi-color quartz!
- I think the simple framing and the bezel-set diamonds are a perfect showcase for these beautifully cut stones.
- I can see how the movement of these earrings might capture the ever-changing personality of these particular gemstones.