Designers are the creative force of our industry. Some build a national following, while others are content to forge a regional or local business. Here are our readers’ favorites — along with a few retailers who refuse to be defined by a single designer, even in theory.
- No question — Simon G. It is a beautiful, high quality line and covers many categories. — Donnie Blanton, Brittany’s Fine Jewelry, Gainesville, FL
- Columbia Gem House — sustainable process from mine to market. — Chris Jacobs, A. L. Jacobs & Sons Jewelers, San Diego, CA
- David Yurman. It seems all customers wear this brand and a store full of David Yurman could allow us to shut down our manufacturing. — Scott Lefcourt, Scottsdale Fine Jewelers, Scottsdale, AZ
- Todd Reed does amazingly different work that is copied by many others. — John DiEnna, JD3 Jewelry, Lansdowne, PA
- I have to go with Suzy Landa. Her designs and color are stunning but really her personality is just outstanding. She’s fun, easygoing and understanding. She’s also a brilliant designer with a fantastic eye for exceptional colored stones. — Marc Majors, Sam L. Majors, Midland, TX
- Yael Designs. He designs beautiful work in every price point to address a variety of tastes, both color and diamond, and he is smart with how and what he designs. He has put a lot of money into great photos both of product and lifestyle. — Andrea Riso, Talisman Collection, El Dorado Hills, CA
- Jack Kelége, his work is perfect. — Todd Broadbent, Clarkson Jewelers, Ellisville, MO
- It would probably be Kelim. The clean lines, artistry and perceived value is high, and the line gives us a wide launching pad for other designs that are well made with a great story. — Megan Cooper, Blue Heron Jewelry Company, Poulsbo, WA
- Parade Design. They create beautiful, award-winning jewelry that is truly one-of-a-kind and high quality. They create bridal and fashion jewelry, so you could fill your store with many different collections from them. Just wish they made men’s jewelry, too. — Ashton Yates-Woolley, Yates & Co Jewelers, Modesto, CA
“Gabriel & Co. They have amazing bridal, lots of fashion and even a great silver line. And their website is very user-friendly." — Emily Clark, Spath Jewelers, Bartow, FL
- Janelle McNeil, NellMarie Jewelry. Very innovative, beautiful sleek designs, excellent price points, marketing, displays, even the boxes are beautiful. — Teri Vogan, Vogan Gold & Silver Works, Colorado Springs, CO
- None. A mercantile business is built around a proper mixture of merchandise, not just one line. — Rex Solomon, Houston Jewelry, Houston, TX
- Hearts on Fire. They continue to grow, design, and move forward. They have a high work ethic and consistent top quality. — Kim Hatchell, Galloway & Moseley, Sumter, SC
- I’ve built my business around one designer, and it’s me. I do all of the custom design for my store and I manufacture a line that I now wholesale. — Valerie Naifeh, Naifeh Fine Jewelry, Oklahoma City, OK
- Me. I have won many NMJA awards and why do I need to sell something for someone else and then have them pull the line and open their own boutique. — Karen Fitzpatrick, Harris Jewelers, Rio Rancho, NM
This article originally appeared in the March 2017 edition of INSTORE.
What's the Brain Squad?
If you're the owner or top manager of a U.S. jewelry business serving the public, you're invited to join the INSTORE Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting the jewelry industry. Good deal, right? Sign up here.
Latest Products Stories
- Linear Earrings Grab Spotlight on Primetime Emmys Red Carpet
- Brave is Beautiful for Kaura Jewels … and More New Releases for January
- The 19 Newest Gold Jewels Your Clients Will Crave
- New Catalogs from Overnight Mountings and Kim International ... Plus More Service News for January
- A New Design DVD, Plus a Sweet Treat and More Jewelry Pro Gear for January
The Wilkerson Way
See how one jeweler's inventory sale turned unsold merchandise into cold, hard cash.