A keynote session with Monster of Sales Jeffrey Gitomer helped save 400-plus jewelers from falling into a rut at today’s SMART Show.
Gitomer touched on everything from the groove-rut-grave analogy and the dumbest question in sales (What will it take to get your business?) to the best greeting of all time (I have something PERFECT for you.)
Here’s a selection of Gitomer’s rut-avoiding wisdom:
- People don’t like to be sold but they love to buy.
- Why people buy is 1 billion times more powerful than how to sell.
- Develop rapport or don’t start selling.
- You can’t control how friendly the other guy is, but you have 100 percent control over yourself.
- Great get-to-know-you question: Where did you grow up?
- Ask questions about the customer that make him or her stop and think and respond in terms of you.
- Great get-to-know-you question: When I say ________, what one word comes to mind? The blank could be “engagement ring,” “bracelet,” “diamond” etc. The response reveals a customer’s top-of-mind awareness or his attitude toward the word.
- Get a customer to like you first; the trust and confidence will fall into place afterward.
- Get customers to Facebook-like you right in the store, with a computer terminal right on the counter.
- Take photos and videos of customers when the make their purchases. Upload them to Facebook, and tag the customer.
- Show three rings, not 303 rings. Don’t give them too many choices; it’s confusing.